Gastric Plication with or without LapBand
The gastric plication is a novel technique performed for the last twenty years. My experience with the procedure extends from 2011 in which time I have performed over 1,000 procedures.
The procedure is also suitable for patients who are overweight but not obese and are looking for surgical weight loss solution but do not meet the current medical guidelines for conventional surgery.
The gastric plication can be performed alone or with the gastric band and consist of:
1. gastric plication
- the stomach is reduced to approximately 60% of its capacity by suturing techniques, without any tissue division
- it remains reversible
2. repair of anti-reflux mechanism by fixation of a hiatus hernia, a condition known to cause acid reflux (heartburn or indigestion)
3. insertion of adjustable gastric band
My early observations and unsolicited feed back
- rapid resolution of pre-existing heartburn
- rapid weight loss - 10-15kg weight loss is commonly seen in most patients within 4-6 weeks after surgery
- early satiety with smaller meals
- long lasting lack of hunger between meals
- ability to eat most food, including meats, chicken, breads, etc - "how do you explain I am losing weight because I can eat anything I want..."
- vomiting is rather uncommon and infrequent
- there are no pockets, folds, stuck food or blood supply issues - on endoscopy the change of the stomach is barely visible to the unaware examiner
- no band slippage, no infections, no perforations, no erosions; no return to surgery or readmission to hospital for any issues.
"Thanks for that, I look forward to hitting the gym once again.
Diet wise I’m pretty much eating proteins every day, steamed vegetables,beans, mushrooms, eggs, cottage cheese, weight watchers type foods, fruits (no sugars) etc.
Apart from the odd piece of toast every few days, I am eating a very very low carb diet, and am avoiding sugar.
Weight wise, prior to surgery, using my scales at home, I was 89.6kgs. Last time I checked, I was down to 79.4kgs.
Very noticeable weight loss, both to my wife and people around me.. Clothes are starting to look big on me.
Having this procedure is by far one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life. “